Over the past two years, I have come to love having fresh flowers in our house and our ever growing vase collection certainly reflects this! There is something so delightful about coming home and having the welcoming sweet scent of flowers greet you when you open the door.
In the run up to Christmas I love the selection of deeps reds and whites that are available and can add such a beautiful festive aesthetic to your home. So I decided to pop into Go Dutch Florist in Salthill, Galway to see what the top floral trends were for Christmas 2017 and see if I could pick up any tips for decorating my home.
Award winning Henk who is the Master Florist behind Go Dutch Flowers was so helpful when I popped in. I wanted to know more about the Christmas trends and what style of bouquets are most popular. Of course, reds are popular but surprisingly so are white arrangements. I would not have thought of decorating with white flowers at Christmas! They also have a great selection of interior and floral bits to help make your home even more festive.
Today I wanted to share some of the ideas that Henk and I spoke about as popular this festive season to give you some interiors and gift inspiration.
Festive Flower Ideas for Christmas:
- Poinsettias – this is probably the first flower that you think of when you think of Christmas arrangements and with goods reason. The petals are large and make a stunning statement and these can last a few weeks over the festive period with a little TLC.
- Mistletoe / Ivy as a main component of a bouquet. A festive bouquet would be a simply wonderful gift.
- Red flower focused table centrepiece – this is something that would add a beautiful addition to any Christmas table
- A bouquet of red and gold tipped roses. The gold tipped roses were actually the first thing I noticed when I went in and what I took about 50 photos of! They are so unusual and festively romantic.
- A festive wreath – there are some exquisite wreaths available in store – I particularly love the ones that are full of berries, the red detailing is just lovely.
It is actually quite funny that many of the plants that I grow in my home do not normally flower. In fact, a lot of the plants that are somehow still alive around my home are selections of Cheese Plants (Monstera deliciosa), Yukka plants (Yucca elephantipes), Rubber Fig Plants (Ficus elastica), Cactus, Aloe Vera, bromeliads and some succulents. I love having greenery around our house but prefer fresh flowers to give pops of colour.
If you are looking for some Christmas flowers to brighten up your home, I would highly recommend calling into Go Dutch Flowers. They were beyond helpful, answering all my daft questions (i.e. how not to kill my flowers within a couple of days – read more here!!) and their selection is just beautiful. They have a website which you can check out here, but it is their stunning Instagram account that I particularly love following!